- 10 ounces shredded potatoes (2-3 medium to large)
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 3 large garlic cloves, minced
- 1 lb tofu, drained and mashed
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro
- 1 cup fresh baby spinach, chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 cup coconut milk
- 5 tablespoons nutritional yeast flakes
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons lemon or lime juice
- 1 teaspoon potato starch or 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 4 slices tomato
- 1 green onion, cut into circlets
- 5 baby carrots, cut into matchsticks
Put oven rack in middle position. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
Brown half a bag of Simply Potatoes hash browns in a skillet as directed on package using a tablespoon of olive oil. When brown, mix in two pinches of salt (optional if on low-sodium diet) and a pinch of pepper. Mix together well and press the hash browns into a pie pan as a crust.
Meanwhile, in a skillet, heat 2 tablespoons olive oil over medium heat.
Saute the onion until translucent and slightly golden.
Add the garlic and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
Mash up the tofu by hand with a fork or in a food processor and add to the onion/garlic along with the salt, pepper, cilantro, lemon juice, nutmeg, coconut milk, nutritional flakes and spinach.
Simmer about 10 minutes over medium heat. Remove the pan from the heat and stir in the potato starch.
Press into pie (hash brown) crust.
Garnish with sliced tomatoes, circlets of green onion and carrots cut into matchsticks.
Bake @ 375 for 45 minutes.